نعي أليم - فيصل سعد في ذمة الله !!! عكــود

آخر 5 مواضيع
إضغط علي شارك اصدقائك او شارك اصدقائك لمشاركة اصدقائك!

العودة   سودانيات .. تواصل ومحبة > منتـديات سودانيات > خـــــــالد الـحــــــاج > موضوعات خـــــــالـد الحـــــــــاج

أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 28-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #[1]
خالد الحاج
:: كــاتب نشــط::
الصورة الرمزية خالد الحاج

افتراضي Speech of Majak D’Agoot at the Memorial Service of the late Dr. John

[align=left]Speech of Majak D’Agoot at the Memorial Service of the late Dr. John Garang – Dallas, Texas, Saturday, November 13, 2005.

(1)

Distinguished Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen:
1. As I deliver these humble words in remembrance of our departed leader, my mind surges into oblivion of endless quest for truth and understanding of numerous incomprehensible meanings of life. For instance, why did he die in such a critical time and not some other time? If God had willed it that way, then why? Why did he travel late in turbulent weather and in a chopper over a land covered by high mountain ranges? Did he assist in a seemingly crafty connivance of fate and probably his enemies to take away his dear life?
2. These questions and many more that our mental capacities could generate preoccupied our minds during the last few months following his death. Having said that however, I would not always forget the heroic and defiant posture of our people when they received his body in Juba for burial on August 8th 2005. Yet overwhelmed by despair, disbelief and deep sense of sorrow and grief, our minds did not want to believe it that it happened as we laid him to rest with a hero farewell that day in the city of Juba – a city he strove so hard to conquer in War and peace.
3. Unfortunately, Juba – the city that had waited so patiently for two complete decades to see the return of agile and charismatic Garang carrying his confident figure in front of a victory march– was instead to receive his casket and his motionless corpse for burial. The kind of ordeal that the gallant people of this great city went through and the people of South Sudan at large, at the moment of his burial, is hard to measure so to speak. One colleague even remarked that he would be angry forever with John Garang if it were his choice or desire to die at that critical turning point in the Sudanese history. We expressed our bitterness, plea and protests in different means and ways. Tears rolled down the cheek of young and old alike. Most of our cities witnessed unfortunate riots and unrest that claimed the lives of many innocent civilians and destruction to property.
4. As a matter of fact, there was reason for all these reactions. In other words, there came a loss of a leader that was trustworthy and committed to the emancipation of his people when they were beginning to chart their way through the difficult minefield of the interim period. But as somber emotions and outpour of grief settled, we began to see the stark reality:
• That all human beings are mortal and helpless before the ubiquitous and chilling hands of death;
• That Dr. Garang was a freedom fighter who since his youthful times had laid his life so cheap in the service of his great people. He was therefore unsure of where and when he was going to leave his ebony-like hard bones in the first place;
• That he put a modest value to his life like many of his revolutionary predecessors and martyrs who out of the same sense of sacrifice have trodden the wide path of martyrdom and freedom. How else could Dr. Garang have been a happier person if he had not found himself paraded in the queue of the great heroes of Sudanese liberation like Gbudwe, Kon Anok, Guek Ngun-Deng, Ali Abdel-Latif, William Deng, Father Satarino, Aquila Manyuon, Ngachigak Ngachiluk, Francis Ngor, just to name a few;
• And above all, that we know that virtually all men and women of great missions and undertakings in history have not necessarily lived to harvest the fields they have so tirelessly labored to cultivate. Dr. Garang was therefore no exception.
5. Given my verbal inadequacies to aptly describe what the legacy of this great icon of the contemporary African history has represented to all of us, I would restrict myself to what I’ve known of Dr. Garang as my leader and role model in my many years of close association with him as we crisscrossed the war zone from Nimule in Equatoria to Kurmuk in Southern Blue Nile; Pibor in Upper Nile to Delenj in the Nuba Mountains, and from floodplains of Bahr el Ghazal to arid and rugged terrains of the Red Sea Littorals. If anything, I would say that we have lost a great leader who though irreplaceable, has served his country so selflessly and diligently negotiated and delivered an honorable peace with justice to his people – a leader who worked and accomplished one of the difficult phases of hard and tortuous mission.
6. If you allow me to summarize in one phrase what Garnag’s death meant to me, I would repeat what came up in a conversation with the Sudanese statesman – Uncle Abel Alier recently in Kamapla when I said that: “Among all politicians of our time, Dr. Garang has not only died honorably leaving an immortal vision and straight record but has also passed into a prestigious class of political sainthood in Sudan that all men and women of ambition would always envy.” I’m therefore deeply honored to speak at this august and sacred occasion to pay homage to our departed leader. At the same time, I’m overwhelmed by deep sense of camaraderie and reverence to a comrade, a commander-in-chief, a dear leader that Dr. Garang was to many of us in the liberation struggle.

7. I wouldn’t forget my sincere prayer and wishes in that chilling night of July 30th when his chopper disappeared. When the media began to speculate and even making conflicting statements alluding to his survival, I tended to believe them although I was at the receiving end of some of the classified up-to-date information. I wished my credible sources were lying and the media guesswork were to be true. I even wished I could roll back the time and keep July 30th away from coming so that that event was not to occur. In spite of doubtless indications that he was dead, we were still hoping for the best that he would be found alive even if he had to lead us as crippled tied onto a wheel chair. I even solemnly prayed that if these were olden times, the Almighty God would have intervened to set him free from the alter of national sacrifices as He did in the case of biblical Abraham and son Isaac.
8. However, that was emanating from my shaky faith in the ways of God as my mind flip-flopped in the maze of quick-fixes expecting one outcome among many possible outcomes. Perhaps, in many occasions we did not know how God had intervened subtly to save him amidst the risks and hazards of war so that he could lead us thus far. Who can fathom or unravel the depth of mystery of his surviving a landmine blast in 1988 around Torit, air raid in Chukudum in 1994, many assassination attempts, escaping unhurt from the showers of machinegun fire, artillery barrages, food poisoning, etc? But one thing is crystal clear: This great Christian Soldier was called by his God to rise in glory in heaven “and to be among the numbers when the saints go marching in.” We are therefore grateful to God, our Holy and Omnipotent father that he blessed us with this great son who became the source of hope and dignity to the people of the marginalized Sudan in particular and the whole Sudan in general. If this becomes a naïveté or utter belief in fatalism, then I neither have reason nor power to resist taking that path.

9. The way we meditated and confided in God in the night of the crash in our different prayer styles and tongues to ask for divine intervention to wish away his inevitable death – the way we mourned him far and wide, young and old, men and women – and the way Juba was wrecked and shocked by his motionless homecoming yet victorious on August 8th, shall have taught many generations of Sudanese how these great people revered those who selflessly struggle for them even in death. In the same vein, this should have also taught many shameless traitors in our midst a lesson that there isn’t any glory in treachery. Those who follow that path reap shame and misery regardless of their longevity and trickery in trying to rewrite or manipulate history.
10. I therefore call upon my fellow Sudanese in general and Dr. Garang’s political foes in particular to disengage in futile gimmicks to discredit him in death. Instead, they should join us in prayer for his soul and his family who need collective moral and emotional support from all compatriots. To my mind, any attempts to discredit him runs counter to our social mores which abhors settling scores with the dead. Such tacit break with values and traditions simply borders on cowardice, opportunism, and mischief. If possible antitheses could be provided to the contrary on what the era of Dr. Garang meant to us, responsible historiographers will put up a well researched case that will painstakingly examine his track-record for our benefit and that of posterity in the near future. There, they will praise him where he was praiseworthy and censure him where he was excessive. In simple terms, history will judge him the best way possible. As for now, let us leave him to rest in peace. Likewise, history will not spare his successors from similar scrutiny where they will be apportioned their unbiased, just and due respect as well as censures.

11. As we gather here today to remember the passing of this hero, freedom fighter, teacher, and thinker, visionary and academic – late Dr. John Garang De Mabior – the founding leader of the SPLM/A, I’m not surprise to see speaker after speaker straining their minds to describe in words what the life of this African icon has meant to them. But regardless of our varying verbal gifts, all these speeches suggest one thing; albeit differently: that the late Dr. Garang was a determined visionary and a consistent revolutionary who never wavered in the face of adversity or turmoil. He always got his bearings right and kept to his navigational compass and his tools of liberation undistracted till he took his people to the threshold of peace.
12. He defied the myth and aura of invincibility that his foes acquired for themselves and sense of hopelessness and resignation that engulfed his people. It was indeed a great setback when he succumbed to his fate (of course, one thing he could not defy) in the Imatong ranges; the hills that provided generations of southern Sudanese insurgents with sanctuary at the time of their dire need for self-preservation. While Imatong deserves being honored with offerings like Mount Zion, one unacceptably expensive sacrifice we never contemplated was Dr. Garang himself. The death of Dr. Garang is irreversible and has become part of the ultimate price our people have paid and continue to pay for their freedom with justice, human dignity, democracy and equal rights for all the Sudanese. Dr. Garang is now part of our past and history; the future is the country and those of us who are alive. While history serves as a hindsight mirror in order for us to avoid crushing blindly into the future, the focus must be on the future at all times.

[/align]

التوقيع: [align=center]هلاّ ابتكَرْتَ لنا كدأبِك عند بأْسِ اليأْسِ، معجزةً تطهّرُنا بها،
وبها تُخَلِّصُ أرضَنا من رجْسِها،
حتى تصالحَنا السماءُ، وتزدَهِي الأرضُ المواتْ ؟
علّمتنا يا أيها الوطنُ الصباحْ
فنّ النّهوضِ من الجراحْ.

(عالم عباس)
[/align]
خالد الحاج غير متصل  
قديم 28-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #[2]
خالد الحاج
:: كــاتب نشــط::
الصورة الرمزية خالد الحاج

افتراضي

[align=left](2)[/align]
[align=left]
13. Even though Dr. John Garnag de Mabior – the president that Sudan never had - is no more, the vision and ideals he fought for to attain will grow like a tidal wave after his departure. Like all great men of the world and God’s messengers, his vision of the New Democratic Sudan will grow in magnitude and dimension. History teaches us that Christianity expanded after the death of Christ while Islam achieved its furthest expanse after the death of Prophet Mohammed. The issue is not the death of a leader but whether their mission would be carried on after they are interred, should be the main concern of all observers and commentators. The maintenance of aim and objective was assured when we unanimously elected another veteran and a co-founder Lt. General Salva Kiir Mayardit to succeed Dr. Garang in immediate aftermath of his death. My trust in the new leadership and the cadre of the SPLM is impeccable. In numerous occasions, President Salva Kiir – our Joshua – has reiterated time and again that the SPLM/A is a vehicle with no reverse gears. He has also vowed to follow on footsteps of his departed comrade unwaveringly.
14. However, while we call Dr. Garang the Moses of Sudan and Lt. General Kiir - the Joshua, let us not lose track of history and what is written in the verses of the Holy Scriptures. While Moses role was an uphill task so much predicated on self-discovery of the Isrealites and their quest to break-free from the yoke of servitude in Egypt, he was doubted, humiliated, and opposed by the very flock he wanted to serve. His will-to-lead was tested and his physical energy was so much consumed by the internal wrangles of the Jewish nation and external pressures. Yet he kept to his covenant with God and led his people successfully beyond Sinai. But let us always remember that Joshua post-Jordon mission was even the hardest task to shoulder. Joshua led numerous campaigns to conquer and defeat nations and took his people through to the Promised Land. Leaving Egypt and forty years in the desert was not the consummation of the long march to the Promised Land but was just a milestone in the long journey toward complete emancipation of the Jewish people. In the same token, Naivasha and the CPA are therefore milestones and the referendum is the final point to reach in the plane.
15. It is therefore my considered opinion that President Kiir is up to the task that is bestowed upon him by the people of the New Sudan. He is trustworthy and will not let you down. However, let us always remember that his task is weightier than the entire burden we are collectively shouldering. He needs your support and encouragement; not unfounded censure and venomous attacks on his performance and leadership style. He is treading in the minefield of implementing the CPA that requires focus, sense of judgment and presence of mind. If you support him as well as constructively criticizing him, he would lead you well to the Promised Land. Always keep in mind that Joshua was not Moses because each one had their endowments, mission and different leadership environments. Today, the same social reality will tell us that Dr. Garang was not General Kiir and Kiir is not Garang and each assumed leadership in differing circumstances. While inevitable at times, I would like us to spend less time and effort in comparing the attributes and traits of the two leaders for the sheer purpose of finding points of weakness to supply us with ammunition to attack their record. It is a futile game and has no better purpose to serve. What is needed is a collective action to finish the unfinished journey towards our full emancipation. I’m personally contented with Kiir’s recent management of the difficult calculus of power sharing both at the level of the Government of National Unity and the Government of South Sudan. His recent performance when he visited Washington is a clear indication that he is a leadership material who can learn to lead better as he progresses in leadership.

16. It is our common knowledge that Comrade Salva Kiir Mayardit was a co-founder of the SPLM/A together with Dr. Garang and other comrades who perished in the course of the war. He has been consistent, steadfast, and dependable. Unlike many cynics and pessimists around us, I would not worry much of who associates with him or about whosoever that claims to be his mentor, right-hand-man or a trusted lieutenant since Kiir is “A self-made Man and Rudolf of His Own.” I’m also cognizant of the fact that power attracts different people and characters and even sycophants across the political rainbow – each trying to wield some influence and win the confidence of the leader to advance their own personal goals. This was the case under Dr. Garang and Kiir’s tenure will not be an exception. Whether there are the so-called predators (Lions, vultures, hyenas or wolves of peace) out there that may be purporting to be his mentors or trying to scavenge the SPLM/A kill, I’ve no shed of doubt that he is committed to the SPLM/A organization, its cadre and the rank and file - which is actually his constituency and the very goose that lays the golden eggs. He has a complete institutional memory of the SPLM/A to lead us well during this difficult phase of our struggle. At this particular juncture, I would like to caution all the Doubting Thomases that questioning Salva’s integrity and the talk of the movement being hijacked is another futile exercise that will not help us focus on the vision and the legacy of Dr. Garang but rather on fractionalization and divisive wars among comrades who have so much to lose in the process.
17. As the talk of orphanage camp and Garang’s boys being sidelined is destructive and fractionalizing, the talk of Kiir being our man and we control him, on the other hand is completely despicable and deplorable. Whether you are fostering a perception that your kingdom has come or your kingdom has fallen, beware that Garang and Kiir founded one movement and fought one war together as committed comrades. There is therefore no witch to hunt nor is there any intention for witch-hunting. Garang and Kiir worked together and they built one SPLM/A – not factions. That is why they stuck to themselves even when others became fatigued or betrayed the cause and left. Whether you intend to advance the cause of either of these imaginary camps or not, please leave Salva Kiir Mayardit alone.
18. I would also like to seize this opportunity to call upon the youth of New Sudan; especially the fighter youth (the Lost Boys or Red Army) who came here to the West to stay focused and united. The legacy of Dr. Garang and his struggle would always guide you in your different commitments and undertakings. When Dr. Garang took to exile in 1962, he was younger than most of you. He had not even fought in the war as you did. He came to East Africa and to the United States where he did his undergraduate studies. Armed with education and self-awareness, he returned home and joined the Anyanya One Movement. He stayed firmly committed to the ideals of liberation even after joining the Sudan Armed Forces and obtaining a doctoral degree. In my view, you stand better chances to deliver the country from its predicament than the generation of Garang and Kiir. Try to do away with all the vices that divided the past generations and weakened them to an extent of not achieving their mission. Instead, build on their gains and those common values that keep you united and peaceful.

19. May you also allow me to seize this opportunity to appeal to my comrades from Darfur to reunite and close their ranks for the betterment and welfare of their great people. The people of Darfur who have suffered a great deal, are frantically yearning for salvation, peace, security and justice. Another internecine infighting among their sons will not alleviate their suffering but will add to the dunghill of their agony and pain. Further, it will deflect energy and attention from fighting the main enemy by fuel instead self-destruct project. Given our own experiences in the South, divisions and tribalism have always been the cause of suffering of the people who are deprived, oppressed, and exploited by the greedy bunch of rulers in the centre. When the SPLM/A leadership decided to send a brigade of South Sudanese youth into Darfur in 1992 to rekindle liberation struggle there, we did it out of love and care for all the marginalized people of the Sudan. When the mission failed and the late Daud Bullat was captured and slain in cold blood, we continued to explore avenues of bringing Darfur on board to partake in the fruits of comprehensive settlement. Even though our constituencies in the South, Nuba Mountains and the Southern Blue Nile had strong reservations about these endeavors, following the failure of Bullat’s mission, our determination never waned. Our brothers and sisters in Darfur should not therefore add to the suffering and misery of our people there because of power struggle. Power is always the means to serve the cause of the people but not an end in its self. If you consolidate your unity and negotiate with one voice, you shall have remembered what Dr. Garang fought for, particularly his thoughts and vision about the disfranchised people of the rural periphery.
20. I also call upon the Northern Sudanese elites and political groups represented here tonight, to remember Dr. Garang by making unity attractive. This concept is embedded in the change of attitudes and general conduct of the people you once despised and humiliated. Southerners want to see the difference not only in physical infrastructure but in “social infrastructure.” Demonstrate your support to the CPA and push the parties to it, implement it to the letter, because it is the only roadmap toward ensuring nation building. Whether Sudan with its current territorial borders will exist or not after referendum in 5 years time, both parts of Sudan will prosper only if they cooperate and settle disputes peacefully. From my own experience as a foot-soldier, there is no amount of resources and manpower that the North or the South can mobilize to guard that long porous border in event of hostilities between the two entities. It is simply costly and untenable.

21. Finally, I would like to end these remarks by calling all of us to pray for Madam Rebecca de Mabior – the widow of our late leader, the children and the entire family of Mabior Atem who gave Sudan this great icon. I pray for the souls of five SPLA gallant officers who died in the crash with Dr. Garang: Lt. Col. Ali, Lt. Col. Amat, 1st Lts. Mayen, Oboki, and Deng, and their families. I pray for the SPLA fallen heroes, and to the soul of our departed leader, the orphans, widows and disabled of this war. I pray for pains and agonies of the hungry, deprived, detainees and victims of abuse and torture in Darfur. I pray for the victims of Tsunami and earthquakes in Asia. I pray for the souls of victims of hurricanes in the USA. I also pray for the victims of terrorism and all forms of man-made and natural disasters the world over. I pray for Sudan, the Comprehensive Peace Agreement - CPA, the world peace and stability. I solemnly ask the Almighty God to open the gates of heaven wide to receive the soul of our departed leader – Dr. John Garang de Mabior. In one phrase, I say: May God rest his soul in eternal peace and assuage the pains of his bereft family. I also ask our heavenly father to remember Salva Kiir and to give him wisdom and courage to finish the rest of the journey.
22. I finally conclude by thanking the people and government of the United States of America for their philanthropy and benevolence towards the needy and victims of disasters in Sudan. I commend them for supporting the Sudanese parties reach a durable settlement. However, I call upon the USA Government to remain vigilant and watchful because the contemporary history of peaceful settlements has been the one of apathy and uncertainty. It is a common occurrence that even the fiercest and internecine conflicts have broken out afresh following such settlements. In the case of the Sudan, such ingredients and potentials for a fresh outbreak of hostilities are commonplace and have to be guarded against carefully.
23. Thank you very much and God bless you!
[/align]

التوقيع: [align=center]هلاّ ابتكَرْتَ لنا كدأبِك عند بأْسِ اليأْسِ، معجزةً تطهّرُنا بها،
وبها تُخَلِّصُ أرضَنا من رجْسِها،
حتى تصالحَنا السماءُ، وتزدَهِي الأرضُ المواتْ ؟
علّمتنا يا أيها الوطنُ الصباحْ
فنّ النّهوضِ من الجراحْ.

(عالم عباس)
[/align]
خالد الحاج غير متصل  

تعليقات الفيسبوك

أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة